Saturday, September 22, 2012

Preserving

Last spring I met someone who has quickly become a key part of my life and a good friend. She works magic in the kitchen and actually does things about which I only dream. I've been honored and inspired by spending time with her this summer as she processes a huge variety of fruits and veggies. (And I occasionally help out too!)

I'm not quite confident enough to start canning but I have been inspired to at least freeze some of the summer bounty for later. Peaches were sliced and frozen. Tomatoes were even easier, I simply cored them and froze.

With rising food prices and the dismal produce that rears its head come winter, I hope to pull out some of these goodies and get a taste of summer when the snow starts falling.

I spent $5 on a basket of tomatoes at the market this morning, which filled a half sheet pan. Using an apple corer means I probably wasted a bit too much tomato, but it was quick work. When these cone out of the freezer, they will basically disintegrate, making for easy sauces and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment