Wednesday, January 5, 2011

To make the morning more bearable

My work schedule pretty much has me opening everyday at this point, which means starting at 5am.  On the plus side, I'm done by 1:30 and I avoid traffic!

I've had my eye on a recipe for Doughnut Muffins for some time but put it aside during the holiday madness.  When the urge to bake something for my fellow morning crew arose, I knew at once that it was time for the muffin.  I mean doughnut.  I mean...well, whatever.

There are several recipes for doughnut muffins out there but I decided to try the one posted at Serious Eats.  The recipe was straightforward, didn't involve much I didn't already have in my kitchen, and seemed easy enough that my sleep-lacking self would be able to figure it out.  (4am is fine, it's mid-afternoon when the early morning catches up with me!)

Though their recipe calls for topping the doughnut muffins with cinnamon sugar, I decided to further complicate things and do a few with Alton Brown's Doughnut Glaze.  Since the muffin itself isn't all that sweet, I really liked the addition of a glaze.  Then again, I'm a sucker for classic glazed doughnuts anyway.

As I mentioned, the muffin is not too sweet, making the perfect base for any toppings you might choose.  I love the mini muffin size as I'm never terribly in to big food early in the morning.  The muffin top has a nice crust to it and the interior is light and airy.

Hopefully my coworkers will be pleased with my offering.  It's always good to spoil the serfs from time to time!

No comments:

Post a Comment